Call for Summer 2014 Internships for College Students
Westcliffe Center for the Performing Arts
WCPA regularly provides summer internships for qualified drama students at its facility at the Jones Theater in Westcliffe, Colorado, a picturesque small town at the foot of the Sangre De Cristo Mountains. Many former interns have said that it was the best summer experience that they have ever had in learning about the theater. For details, please visit Call for Summer 2014 Interns.
Jones Theater/WCPA launches
“Go fund Me Campaign”
The Jones Theater will launch a “ Go Fund Me” internet funding campaign on March 1 of this year. The Campaign is organized and directed by former Westcliffe residents Peter Link and Julia Wade of Watchfire Music.
The purpose of the campaign is to raise sixty thousand dollars to re insulate and restore the Jones Theater auditorium. This includes restoring the floor of the auditorium with a concrete base, repairing the east wall of the auditorium and re insulating it to cut down on propane costs. In addition, the old heaters in the auditorium will be replaced with new energy efficient ones. A very special part of the project is to install a hearing loop in the auditorium so that people wearing hearing aids can enjoy the theater movies , plays and music without distortion.
The time of the campaign is six weeks. Funds will then be used to start repair of the auditorium during the “Shakespeare in the Sangres“ productions in June and July which take place in Garett Carlson’s park behind the theater. If further time is needed, the forth production of the summer will also take place in Garett’s park. If needed funds are not completed by then, construction will begin in September.
For those interested in making a contribution to the campaign, please contact us through email@example.com. We look forward to a very successful campaign and welcoming you to an updated Jones Theater auditorium. Donations can be made on line directly at http://www.gofundme.com/JonesTheater or by mail to the Jones Theater, PO Box 790, Westcliffe, CO 81252.
Donations are tax deductable since we are a not for profit organization. A receipt and thank you letter will be sent to you for your donation.
Thank you so much for your help and consideration,
Anne Kimbell Relph
President WCPA/Jones Theater
2014 Live Events
at the Jones Theater
SHAKESPEARE IN THE SANGRES
AT ITS BEST”
WCPA presents a different play each evening in the
beautiful outdoor amphitheater behind the Jones Theater. Included
in season ticket.
Tickets: Adults, $20; Teens 16 and under, $15; Kids, 12 and under, $5.
The Park opens at 5:30 p.m. for picnicking.
Please see the Jones Theater Summer Season Schedule for Details
- The Westcliffe Center for the Performing Arts was created in 1992 as a not-for-profit corporation to maintain the Historic Jones Theater both as a movie and theater house for the Westcliffe, Colorado Community.
- Thanks to generous foundation grants and the efforts of many volunteers the theater has been restored and refurbished to its original 30's glamour.
- A major addition, Studio 2, was made in 2003.
- Studio 2 provides sets and costumes, a Youth Theater for rehearsals and exhibits, a home for KWMV radio and living quarters for summer interns.
- The first outdoor production was presented in 2007 using an outdoor stage and park-like seating area next to the theater on 2nd Street in Westcliffe.
- We present 8 live theater productions each summer as well as a full season of first-run movies in our theater which has 148 seats.
- The local high school drama club presents several productions during the year.
- The Theater is also used for many concerts ranging from jazz to bluegrass to opera throughout the year.
- We were honored to receive the El Pomar award for Excellence in Arts and Humanities in 2004 and have continued to expand our artistic horizons. Our new “Shakespeare in the Sangres” initiative for 2008 is an example of our cultural outreach, expansion and service to this rural community.